With over 500 million downloads worldwide, there is no denying that WinRAR is the most popular compression tool globally. It is not only fast and reliable but in a way, free to use as well. Thus, WinRAR is the best solution that you will find on the internet to compress your files with ease.
|Compatibility:||Windows (All Versions)|
|Security:||Checked – Virus Free|
Another reason for the popularity of WinRAR is its downloading procedure which is pretty simple. This article will tell you everything you need to know about WinRAR, its fantastic features, the downloading process, and some common alternatives.
What is WinRAR?
In terms of compression utilities, WinRAR is way ahead of its time. Apart from supporting ZIP and RAR archives, it can also unpack many other files. Some examples include CAB, 001, ARJ, Z, LZ, 7Z, LZH, ZIPX, and TAR files. The software uses a GUI interface powered by the mouse and screen. In addition to this, it also uses a wider interface with a command line as well.
Even though WinRAR constantly reminds its users that their trial period of 40 days has expired and they should pay for it, the payment is not mandatory. It is just a friendly reminder, and the users can pay if they want to. Otherwise, you can choose to continue using it for free.
The great thing about WinRAR is that you will not have to buy add-ons to build self-extracting data. That’s because the WinRAR license allows the users to have full access to all the programs included in this software. Moreover, the software also has an unlimited number of backup files for practical reasons.
The software allows the users to see the size of the compressed file. Furthermore, the users can also see how long the compression will take. Another advantage of using WinRAR is that it can split compressed files into multiple parts. This can turn out to be highly useful if you are moving heavy data through USB.
Features of WinRAR
The features of WinRAR make it the most renowned compression tool in the world. Let’s take a look at some of its incredible features below.
- The most helpful feature of WinRAR is that it selects the best compression method automatically. Thus, you can now compress your multimedia files, object libraries, and other executables with this special compression algorithm.
- WinRAR creates smaller archives than the competition. Moreover, it also allows you to split your archives into separate volumes.
- The licenses of WinRAR are valid for all platform versions and available languages. If you have purchased more than one license, you can even mix them to meet your personal needs.
- The future updates provided by WinRAR are free of cost to its users.
- WinRAR supports 128-bit password encryption and authenticated signature technology. This is what makes it an ideal software to send data through the web.
Minimum System Requirements for WinRAR PC
Several versions of WinRAR are available for different operating systems. However, there are some minimum system requirements for a smooth downloading of WinRAR. These are:
- Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Pro / Education / Enterprise, 8.1, 8, 7 (32 bit / 64 bit)
- Memory: 64MB or higher
- Processor: 64 bit CPU and 64 bit Windows Version or higher
How to Download WinRAR for Windows?
The downloading process of WinRAR is straightforward. Here’s how you can download it on your PC:
- Go to the official website of WinRAR and click on Downloads in the left menu.
- Pick your version of windows from the list of options available there. This will download the installer to your PC.
- Open the WinRAR installer and click on Yes to allow the installer to run.
- A pop-up window will appear, giving you the trial information. Review it and click on Install.
- A screen will appear asking you to choose some preference. Choose your preference and click OK.
- Once the downloading is complete, click on Done to close the installer.
Check out this video tutorial to download Winrar:
Alternatives of Winrar For Windows PC
Even though WinRAR is the most popular compression tool globally, some alternative programs are equally as good as WinRAR. Some popular alternatives are mentioned below.
7-Zip is the most popular alternative to WinRAR. It is an open-source tool that is free to use. The software is completely safe and legit to use. You can zip or unzip almost all the formats on 7-Zip. Some examples include 7Z, GZIP, RAR, WIM, and TAR.
The main reason behind its popularity is its high ratio compression. The software offers a 10% better reduction than WinRAR. Moreover, it can also provide compression between 30-70% if you compress the files in 7Z format.
jZip is another compression tool that you can use in place of WinRAR. It is not only free, but its user interface is straightforward with only a few options. This is what makes it a popular choice among beginners. The compression ratios of jZip are almost as similar to 7-Zip.
jZip supports all popular formats such as RAR, GZIP, 7-Zip, and TAR. But, there are not a lot of customization options available with this software. All you can do is compress and unzip your files on it. Although the software is free, it adds an ask toolbar as adware during the installation process. So, make sure that you uncheck the option if you don’t need it.
Another powerful compression tool, PeaZip, allows users to compress their files free of cost. In addition, it gives complete protection to your files by adding powerful encryption to them. Moreover, it provides the users the option to work on multiple files as well.
The software also gives the option to add filters to only archive the file types that are required. The popular formats that PeaZip supports include RAR, GZ, BZ2, XZ, and TAR.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Is WinRAR safe to use?
Ans: While the older versions of WinRAR are vulnerable, the newer versions are entirely safe to use.
Q2. Is WinRAR free forever?
Ans: Even though WinRAR is advertised as trialware, you can use it for free forever.
Q3. How long does WinRAR take to compress files?
Ans: The amount of time that WinRAR takes to compress files depends on the magnitude of the data.
Q4. Does WinRAR reduce file size?
Ans: Yes, WinRAR can reduce the size of the files that you have compressed.